- A Radiator cools the liquid that in turns cools your engine, thereby maintaining the correct operating temperature. A Radiator has a large surface area of thin fins for the liquid to pass though, over time these can be damaged by stones, filled with dirt and bugs or the plastic tanks attached to most radiators these days can crack with the constant heating and cooling during normal use
- It is important that the correct mixture of coolant to water is used, to little or too much can be a bad thing for your engine
How important is my radiator?
- One of the most common causes of engine failure is excessive heat
- Your radiator ensures the engine is able to operate at a constant and pre-determined temperature
- The radiator contains a mixture of water and coolant (anti-freeze)
- Maintenance of your radiator also includes your radiator hoses, cap, thermostat and water pump
- If your radiator leaks or loses its cooling properties you may suffer engine failure
- Your heater efficiency is controlled by your radiator and thermostat
- The correct operating temperature of your engine affects your fuel consumption
What do I need to do?
- The coolant in your radiator requires changing every two years although there are some long life mixtures that last for up to four years
- When changing the fluid it is advised to flush out any dirt or contaminants from the radiator
- Let us test the mixture of your coolant and pressure test your radiator for any signs of leaks
How do I know if my radiator needs attention?
- The temperature gauge may read differently than normal
- The gauge may go up when climbing hills
- You may smell a strange odour
- Your heater may not work
- You may notice a green fluid under your vehicle
Our experts can test and appraise the condition of your cooling system; we’ll advise you the costs and benefits of any recommended service.
You will find Complete Auto Repairs mechanical services particularly convenient if you live or work around the following areas:
Dunedin South, Dunedin Central, Forbury, St Clair, St Kilda, Kew, Corstorphine, Caversham, Lookout Point, Calton Hill, The Glen, The Oval Area, Mornington, Kenmure, Roslyn, Andersons Bay, Musselburgh, Waverley, Concord, Green Island, Abbotsford, Fairfield, Kaikorai Valley, Otago Peninsula.